Upcycle Broken Crayons: Use Solar Oven (or oven) to make crayons #sustainability

If you have kids, odds are likely you have some broken crayons…

You can easily turn them into fun shapes with the help from the sun on warm days (or oven to speed up the process)!

~Peel off wrappers~

This is a great job for all ages. See my 3 year old helping me!

~Place crayons in selected molds~

We are making these are party favors for a birthday, so we selected lego brick & minifigure molds. There really is no right or wrong way to do this. You can break the pieces smaller to melt quicker as well as you can do solid or go for a tie dye effect.

~~~~~

If using a solar oven, see my how-to so that you can make your own by clicking here! Place the solar oven out for a few hours before you start cooking, so it can warm up. Depending on the temperature, this could take all day. You can also cook part of the time in the solar oven then switch to the oven if the temperature starts cooling down before the crayons are melted.

For next to nothing, we made are broken crayons into new!

~~~~~

Comments

1. says

Oh my, those molds are absolutely adorable! Where did you get them? Every couple weeks I buy a new box of crayons from the Dollar Tree and add the ones they broke to a ziploc. I figure that by Christmas I’ll have enough to do stocking stuffers for all of our kids and their cousins.

2. Lindy Davison says

Ok those are awesome! My son has his third birthday party so we might have to use them for favors. Thanks for the great idea!

3. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says

We do this all the time and use both of those exact molds often, too! It’s a great way to reuse 🙂

4. Pam says

I’ve done this with the kids before. You can make just about any shape you want to, as long as you can find a mold. It’s perfect for kids of all ages.

5. Pam says

This seems like a pretty cool idea. Love it when you can upcycle items such as crayons into something fun and creative like this.

6. says

I really want to do this with my kiddos. They love crayons so I would love to make little funky shapes for them. I think they’d think it was a riot!

7. Ann Bacciaglia says

This is such a great idea for using all the leftover crayons. I will have to make some for my friends little girls.

• Natalie says

I love novelty molds found on amazon! Fyi I have separate ones for crayons / soaps and edible one. Obviously they can be clean but I think is easier to have one for food and one for non food