DIY: Make your own #glutenfree playdough recipe #celiac
Today was the boys’ first day of school. Since Hunter is starting pre-k, we have a lot of gluten free issues to consider within the school. 4 year olds with playdough was definitely one of my major concerns, so Hunter & I are making weekly batches of playdough for the whole class. I love those teachable moments! Using everyday items to create playdough is a great way to show children how simple ingredients can have wonderful results. Hunter at age 4 has now had the experience of playing with playdough!
1/3 c. rice flour
1/6 c. potato starch (2 2/3 TBSP)
1/6 c. salt (2 2/3 TBSP)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 TBSP Cream of Tartar
1 tsp. koolaid powder (any color)
1/2 TBSP oil
1/2 c. warm water
1. Mix dry ingredients in a storage bag (or container). Let your child help you by shaking to thoroughly mix ingredients.
2. Place warm water & oil in pan. Then, add dry ingredients.
3. Heat mixture on med to med-low he at (medium is too hot on my stove). Heat playdough until it thickens & pulls away from pan easily.
4. Place playdough on potato starch (or cornstarch) floured surface or parchment paper.
5. Add in enough potato starch (or cornstarch) until playdough is the right texture.
6. Place in airtight container.
I have provided a recipe for a small batch of playdough. I will be creating 5 batches each week, so the small batches provide an easy way to add variety of colors while keeping the perfect consistancy.